Saturday, October 15, 2005

Confined Water Dive 5

Last week we completed our final classroom section as well as our final confined water dive. The classroom portion consisted of a review of the last chapter of the Go Dive book as well as a review of some of the other important concepts we'd be likely to see on the final exam. The exam was fifty questions and consisted of mostly multiple choice with a couple matching or ordering questions thrown in. I completed the test fairly quickly and felt pretty good about my answers. While I was waiting for everyone else to finish up, Terry showed me his Nitrox tables as well as the PADI wheel. Looking at the Nitrox tables I was impressed with how much bottom time you can add by diving with a higher percentage of Oxygen. I think Nitrox will definitely be on my list of certifications to pursue.

The PADI wheel isn't that much more complicated than the tables but seemed like a bit of a pain for the benefit. I worked through a dive plan using the wheel and worked the same plan using tables and ended up with the same results (which startled me since I was just going off the little instruction card for the wheel). Personally I think I'll stick with tables and use my computer to track my dives

In the end everyone passed the final exam. I ended up getting two questions wrong, both of which were things I shouldn't have missed but misread/misunderstood when reading the question. Oh well, bragging rights for getting them all right would have been nice but when it comes down to it I don't think anyone else will ever care about my written exam score for PADI Open Water certification.

Because the exam took so long we were a bit late getting into the pool. We practice some skills including a swimming emergency ascent without mask which we simulated by swimming horizontally for a period with Tom followed by a slow ascent. Swimming without a mask is a real pain and I was thrilled to put it back on. We we finished up, cleaned up, and packed our gear we all left. It was a bit weird knowing that it was the last time we'd use the pool and that the next time we met we'd be doing our open water dives.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I've never seen the wheel in person, I like the table just fine for a backup to a compy. Do you know where you will be doing your open water dives? We did ours at Muskegon Lake and West Lake. I want to go diving!

10/16/2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

Nitrox certification would be cool. Also, rescue diver would be nice, I've wanted to get a refresher on CPR for a long time anyway. First things first though, Susan and I are looking at getting our advanced open water cert next. Apparently, it's pretty common to get all 5 dives done in one weekend, so we could do it when you're down here and we could all get certified together. Of course, you'll be OW certified by then (two missed questions notwtihstanding).

We're looking forward to your (as yet unscheduled) visit, both for the diving and for the general hanging out and catching up.

10/16/2005 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home