Monday, November 28, 2005

Introverts Rule

As someone who could almost certainly be considered an introvert, I was fascinated to find this story in the news. It turns out that introverts have more brain activity in general, and specifically in the frontal lobes. One of my favorite quotes from the story is that "Extroverts gain energy by being out and about," but "being with people takes energy from introverts, and they need to get away to restore that energy."

I find myself in complete agreement... after spending an evening out with a bunch of people I want nothing more than to go home, relax, and hang out by myself. I enjoy the company of others. I have a number of excellent friends without whom I would not be nearly as happy as I am. Nonetheless, there are times where I just want to be alone. For people like my brother this is a completely foreign concept. He's actually energized by meeting a bunch of people he doesn't know. Me... I find it a bit draining. It's nice to know that there are some positives to being a bit on the introverted side.

2 Comments:

Blogger Henry Bierman said...

That is a fantastic article. I always knew that wanting to not be around people was normal. Hey, I even love my wife, but there are many times that I just need to be alone.

4 days to Thanksmas.

11/29/2005 8:15 PM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

I love personality tests, speculation on human nature, and other brain-related craziness. I've taken tons of Introvert/Extrovert tests (or tests that had an I/E discriminating component.) I typically land right on "zero" - the balance point between introvert and extrovert. Sometimes it comes out a very small measure one way or the other. It's why I say I'm an E/INTJ, in the Myers-Briggs Test. My right-brain/left-brain tests usually come out "balanced" too. I show a lot of left and right brain connection and one side isn't dominant over the other. I'm just a very versatile, even person. Or maybe I'm just highly conflicted because the demons in my head are evenly matched.

12/01/2005 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home