Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wikipedia

I have just finished authoring my first contribution to Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia. While doing some research into scuba diving related topics, I ran across the Wikipedia article on no decompression limits. The article was, unfortunately, somewhat lacking. In point of fact, it appears that many of the scuba articles on Wikipedia could use some editing and fleshing out.

For those that haven't seen it, Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that anyone can edit. The idea sounds farcical; however, it has been quite successful. Wikipedia certainly has its fair share of detractors, many of whom question the quality of the information that is presented. Although false information does, on occasion, make its way into the site I have been impressed with the overall quality of the material.

I must say that writing something on Wikipedia gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I feel as if I've contributed to the enlightenment of some small portion of the populace. I have a feeling that more Wikipedia editing is in my future. For those that are really, truly bored you can also check out my user page on Wikipedia. At the moment it consists of a link back to this blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Henry Bierman said...

I have often thought about adding something to a Wikipedia article. Seems like there is always something more that could be added.

More so than any effort before this may be man's greatest way to collect the collective knowledge of mankind.

2/02/2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

Congrabulations on the article. I have made small changes to several articles (for example, the article on our mutual alma mater), but I have never done a whole article. Good jorb!

2/02/2006 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home