Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Rainy in January

It's raining today... very much as it has for the last several days. In fact, yesterday we had a fairly impressive thunderstorm. Now, I'm normally a big fan of thunderstorms and I have nothing against rainy weather in general but this is January. In Michigan. Now is the time for skiing, for using my new snow thrower, and for generally marveling at the fabulous winter wonderland which is Michigan in January. I have complete faith that the snow will come again but in the interim I remain disappointed by the lack of cold white stuff on the ground.

This attitude is quite different from the one I had a few short years ago. What happened you ask? Well, I embraced the season. I read an article once that said that if you're going to live someplace with a long cold winter you needed to find things that you like to do in the winter. It was for this reason, among others, that I took up skiing. Now, as fall comes to a close, I look forward to winter and to the promise of doing things, like skiing, out in the cold.

On a more positive note, I've put into motion plans to visit Dave and Susan in Florida. I'm headed down on February 9th for a five day visit in warm and sunny Florida (which I don't find bothersome as Florida is supposed to be warm and sunny). Susan and I will be taking an Advanced Open Water class through ProDive, a diving outfit based in Fort Lauderdale. During the course we will have an opportunity to do six dives including a deep dive and a night dive. I'm eagerly anticipating the diving but am even more eager to see my friends again. They have been MIA for the last several group get-togethers we've had (Laboween, Thanksmas, New Year's) and their absence has been a bit sad. It'll be great to be back with them to catch up and to just hang out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Yay, posting from Jason. I've missed your words of wisdom. (I was thinking if I pretended to listen to your aged wisdom maybe you would talk more - is it working?)

When on the phone with the prodive peeps it sounded like we needed to bring a light with us for the night dive? Any suggestions?

1/03/2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger KzooJason said...

It's working... I can feel myself becoming more communicative as I read your response ;)

Let me bounce it off my LDS peeps. I have a couple ideas but would like to get their input first. I'd be willing to bet that one or more of the area shops would rent out lights if we wanted to go that way...

1/03/2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Henry Bierman said...

No scuba talk from me.
I think the rain was really wierd also, but I do not mind the lack of snow as I have no great love for shoveling, wet clothing, or other snow related nonsense. Unless you are talking about the added fun that is to be had with cars on snow covered roads.

1/03/2006 8:57 PM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

I'm looking forward to your visit! I've scoped out a decent stretch of beach, if you have any time to spend above the water. I've also stocked up on some good wines, and Susan and I recently visited some interesting restaurants that you have to try (including an excellent Persian place and killer Thai/sushi place).

1/04/2006 1:34 AM  
Blogger KzooJason said...

I can't imagine Roland St. Jude at the beach... the ideas seems oxymoronic. Don't tell me that Florida has cured Roland of his aversion to the sun???

1/04/2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

The sun? What are you talking about! I meant at night.

1/04/2006 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home