Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bring out the GIMP

I've been mocking up different site designs for a site I'm working on and I got very tired of doing it in HTML and CSS. I was spending quite a bit of time getting all the HTML quirks worked out, only to decide that it wasn't really the design I wanted. After trying a few things, I ended up settling on GIMP.

GIMP is an image manipulation program similar to Photoshop. Unlike Photoshop, GIMP is open-source and completely free. It has a huge number of features and is an incredible program for manipulating multi-layered images. Similarly to Photoshop, GIMP is not really built for the novice graphics designer. I've spent more time than I care to think about in the last week or two trying to figure out how to make it do what I want. Fortunately, the more I learn about it, the faster I pick up new techniques. I think I'm finally to the steep part of the learning curve and suddenly I'm loving the program. I created an entirely new site design in a couple hours while sitting in Beaners coffee shop (which is another story entirely).

For those interested in learning more about GIMP, you can head over to the site at http://www.gimp.org/. They have some very nice tutorials which will teach you some of what you want to know. My only complaint is that they don't do a great job of teaching some of the fundamental abstract concepts which would make understanding the system somewhat easier.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I gave up on the GIMP. Just didn't have the determination to get through the beginning of learning it.

6/28/2007 5:33 PM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

Me too. For me, learning GIMP was like learning to fly an airplane on your own. I know what an airplane does, but the array of controls and what each particular piece does is a bit too much to take in. Glad it's doing what you want it to do though; I've always heard good things about it.

6/30/2007 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home