Thursday, August 31, 2006

Canada Visit

After the kayaking trip in Cadillac I set out to drive to Canada. I'm now up visiting our neighbors to the North to do some work for my employer. I'll be heading back to Michigan tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting home. Canada is nice but there's no place like home.

On my way into Canada I had a good time hanging out with the customs/immigration people who enjoyed searching my car and quizing me about what, exactly, I was going to be doing in Canada for a whole week. After making it over the border I drove up towards Toronto. I'm not entirely certain why, but it appears that gas stations are somewhat rare near the border but after driving through a couple small towns I found a gas station that was still open, averting

Tonight I went into downtown Toronto to the Distillery Historic District. It's a cool place and I wish we'd had a bit more time to check it out. As it was, we got to eat at The Boiler House. The food was absolutely fantastic. I had what was described as "Duo of Quebec Duck Roasted Breast, Duck Leg Confit on a Bianquette of Pomme Parmentier & Shredded Braised Duck, English Peas & Salal Essence". The sauce tasted of brown sugar and had just a hint of anise (black licorice). It was, to understate the case, really good. For dessert I had a dark chocolate ganache tort with raspberry sauce and fresh cream topped with fresh berries. It was a meal that I enjoyed savoring in a restaurant with an outstanding ambiance. For my first time in Toronto it was an excellent introduction.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Michigan tomorrow. I'll see Jocelin tomorrow night and we'll celebrate the fact that she found a new apartment near her new job. It looks like we'll have our hands full getting her moved over the next couple weeks but it sounds like her apartment is very nice. More to come on that front shortly...

1 Comments:

Blogger The InstiKater said...

So did the border police think you were especially suspicious? Or did you just luck out that they wanted to search your car. I also had an enjoyable time with border police last fall when I took a class to Stratford for a field trip and a young lade in my class had a copy of her green card (from Vietnam) and not the real thing. It was quite exciting.

9/01/2006 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home