Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Day the Rain Came

The landscaping that was done in the front yard looked great (see my previous post if you don't know what I'm talking about). Everything was in good shape. I had some concern about rain since I tend to get some runoff from the road so I cobbled together some foam tubing and weights to divert/slow water which might wash out the nice dirt, seed, and fertilizer. All was good and right with the world... until the day the rain came.

When the rain came it did so with a vengeance. It was a deluge, possibly even a flood. Soil was washed away and upon my return home I was saddened and more than a bit frustrated. Things were said... and it was probably good that I was home alone. The picture (click it for a bigger picture) shows the overall image upon returning home. Note the dirt in the driveway. That dirt was supposed to be on the lawn. Why the dirt didn't like the lawn area I do not know. I know only that it felt the need to leave.

The next two pictures show the damage done in a bit more detail. The blue/green stuff you see is a mulch that was supposed to prevent runoff. The places you don't see it had all the seed, fertilizer, and mulch swept away.


It's certainly not the end of the world. Most of the work that went in was in digging out the area. Filling it again and levelling the soil isn't going to be a huge undertaking. Nonetheless, I'm left with a conundrum. How do I prevent this from happening again? I could wait until August when the odds of rain are lower but even then I'm in trouble. Grass seed doesn't do well in August and there's always the chance of a storm. My mother had the best suggestion... sod. I'll be calling around tomorrow to see if I can get a small amount of sod delivered. I can then lay it down and have near instant erosion control. If the rains come again I will be prepared. I will beat nature or, failing that, will battle to a draw.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

First of all that really sucks dude. Have done quite a bit of gardening I think I can safely say I feel your pain. Unfortunately there isn't much to be done. Plants with roots prevent erosion, but you have to get the little buggers started first. So, your mom has it about right. The only sure way to have roots right away is to put in sod. Other than that it's sort of a crap shoot with the weather. When you are talking about a whole lawn chances are better, but when you are talking about a run-off area...no so good. The yard(s) look great though! I really like the back yard and hope you get that stump out too. That thing is gnarly.

I have to say I'm a bit jealous because I miss having a bit of dirt. I would like to start some sort of container garden on our deck, but that ends up costing a lot because you have to buy the containers and whatnot as well as the plants.

5/11/2006 10:36 AM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

Dude. That is not cool. I hope the sod isn't too much work. It should be more effective. (I laid some sod once on a pretty steep hill in a moderately rainy week and it did ok.)

In general, I agree with Susan, your yard is really coming along very nicely. It's odd to see real grass again. All the grass down here is like crabgrass.

5/11/2006 4:30 PM  
Blogger The InstiKater said...

Oh man, I cried out in pain for you when I read that! Sod is a good idea, though I hate the idea of having to pay more for something that you can grow (except I guess you can't grow it and that's the problem). When I was little, we got sod and I asked why anyone would want "used grass". Clever girl.

But have faith, once it starts growing it'll be great.

5/18/2006 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home