Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Landscaping

Last weekend my father came down to Kalamazoo to visit and to help me out with some landscaping work. I have to give my folks credit... for people that have said they don't help out with yard work, they've certainly helped me out quite a bit.

Much of our work was in my backyard and centered around the area around my patio and under my deck. This picture shows the finished product. To the left you see a short retaining wall by the deck. We raised the wall one block, filled with topsoil, planted some Oregano and Rosemary, and mulched with Cedar chips. To the right you can see the beginnings of a small herb garden. The rosemary is planted but I'm waiting for seedlings to get a bit larger before planting the rest of the herbs. You can't see it in the picture but we also did quite a bit of work to clean up a large tree stump that had become overgrown. The plan is to grind out the stump and then place some sort of decorative piece surrounded by more mulch.

Next you see a close up view of the area under the deck. I'm very happy with how the cedar chips worked out and I'm looking forward to getting the stump ground out so I can finish off that area. Note the attractive plantings at the closest edge.

The final portion of the landscaping work involved quite a bit of work to dig out weedy, sandy, gravelly junk in the front yard and to fill it back in with good topsoil. The area we were working on was to both sides of the driveway. This turned out quite well and we were able to use much of the stuff we took out to fill a valley in the side yard and to bury a drainage pipe. There's a bit of work yet to do in the side yard but the front yard was looking very good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I like the herb garden thing, but you should also think about something with some height, especially along the house on the right hand side. It needs...some vertical interest there.

5/11/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger The InstiKater said...

Whoa Jason! That is great! I'm impressed and can't wait to see it in person. BEWARE: oregano grows like madness and it'll take over the whole damn yard if you aren't careful. But nice job :-)

5/18/2006 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home