Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Kayak Trip

Last weekend was our mostly annual kayak trip. For the first time the kayak trip involved both the guys and the gals. On Saturday night we went to Sportsman's Port in Cadillac. Jocelin and I arrived at around 10:00. Earlier that day we had been in Clio to see Jocelin's Grandmother and we had a bit of a late start to the West side of the state. When we hit Cadillac we had a series of unfortunate navigational issues which resulted in checking two maps and with three different people. On the bright side we found a Mancino's to get some dinner before we continued on to the campground. After we arrived at the campground we made camp and hung out around the fire with everyone.

Sunday morning we went down to the Pine River where our kayaks were waiting for us. We did a five hour trip from Dobson to Low Bridge. There useed to be a dam just before Low Bridge but it was removed a short time ago. Without the dam the river is a bit faster moving and it makes the trip quite enjoyable.

At one point during the trip I did manage to capsize my kayak. The current was pushing strongly into a logjam... a number of use were all clumped up together and I ended up pushed up against the logs. Several people bounced off me but I didn't have any trouble staying up. Unfortunately when I tried to get myself off the logs the current caught my kayak and started to tip it down as the nose tried to submerge. I ended up outside the completely flooded kayak in at least eight feet of water. Ultimately I managed to get up on the logs and after several minutes I freed the kayak. Unfortunately the depth of the water precluded the possibility of righting the kayak immediately. With all my companions out of sight (unable to stop until a bit farther down the river), I swam the kayak upside down downstream. Once I caught up with the others Ryan helped me empty the kayak and I got back in... a bit bruised and battered but otherwise none the worse for wear.

It wouldn't really be a trip down the Pine River without someone taking a dip in an amusing way and since Red Dave wasn't around there was nothing to do but take care of it myself. Despite my unexpected dip it was a fun trip. Some pictures of the trip can be found here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

*pout* I wish I could have gone too.

8/30/2006 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home