Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Good Swim

I just got back from the YMCA where I had a very enjoyable swim. As part of my effort to build up to triathlon swim distances, I've been following the Zero to One Mile program. The program is designed to take you to swimming a mile without stopping for rest in six weeks. Since I wanted to get in more swimming in the first couple weeks, I've been doing the suggest program followed by some additional swimming with somewhat longer rest periods (hereafter, short commercial breaks).

Tonight was a very pleasant night for swimming. It's raining and cold which makes it a fairly lousy night for running and since I rode the bike last night, I didn't want to jump on the trainer. I swam a total of 2,500 yards in 55 minutes. Thus far it's both the longest distance I've done and the lowest average time per 100 yards. Overall it broke down as:
200x4 on 12 breath rest (in other words, swim 200 yards, stop to breathe for 12 breaths, then repeat three more times)
100x4 on 8 breath rest
50x4 on 4 breath rest
Short commercial break...
400x1
Short commercial break...
600x1
100x1

It was, overall, a very satisfying night of swimming. Tomorrow is the weekly rest day so I won't be doing anything (other than shooting pool in the Thursday night league). Friday I should be back to running, probably in the morning or at lunch given other commitments. Good times...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

You are made of awesome Jason.

10/16/2008 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home