Sunday, September 07, 2008

Triathlon

I recently decided to start training for a triathlon in 2009. My hope is to do a sprint distance event in the spring and then a full Olympic distance triathlon a bit later in the season. The full Olympic triathlon is a 1.5 km swim, a 40 km bike, and a 10 km run (.93 miles/24.8 miles/6.2 miles). For those unfamiliar with triathlon, you basically swim, run out of the water, jump on your bike, ride, jump off your bike, and start running to the finish line.

I've been swimming laps regularly for the last six months or so but I haven't done much running or cycling in quite some time. Over the last few weeks I've very slowly been working up my running and cycling fitness levels - both of which are startlingly low. The running in particular is going to be interesting. At the moment I can run a 15 minute mile while keeping my heart rate in a zone I'd like it to be in. I can run it faster but not without being completely winded by the end of the run. I signed up for a 5k race on October 4th which should help keep me motivated to keep the running piece going. Since I'll actually be running with some coworkers I'd prefer not to be the slow guy that finishes last.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Go Jason! You're awesome, you'll have to let us know how it goes.

9/08/2008 8:48 AM  
Blogger KzooJason said...

Will do... fortunately I have the cold snowy season to train for it...

9/08/2008 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home