Saturday, October 11, 2008

WMU Campus Classic

Last week Saturday I completed my first 5K race since childhood. The WMU Campus Classic is run Homecoming weekend every year on Western Michigan University's campus. The campus itself is what a PR person would call "rolling" and what a runner calls "really darn hilly".

A group of people from work were all running the race which was nice. My parents also came down to Kalamazoo to be the cheering section and provide run-side support (thank you both!). Running around campus was great though it was odd to see all the changes since graduation. Several buildings have been completely replaced and the student center has undergone some huge renovations. The old bowling alley is now the bookstore - Textbook Alley.

Since I've only recently started running I wasn't in the best shape for a race. In fact, I ran 5K in training, punctuated by some walking, for the first time two days before the race in 37:37. I definitely could have used a bit more time to prepare but I'm very glad I ran it. I managed to complete the race without walking, even on the terrible, terrible hill next to the Sindecuse Health Center. I'm thinking that it's not a coincidence that the health center is situated next to the killer hill...

I finished the race in 30:54, running just under ten minute miles. Since my goal was to finish, ideally under 34 minutes, I'm very happy with the result. It also gives me a good baseline that I can improve on. I'm hoping to run another 5K this fall and cut at least three minutes off that time. Online race results are available here.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Woot! Go Jason! You Rock! Many exclamation points to you! Really!

10/13/2008 9:36 AM  
Blogger Roland St. Jude said...

Awesome! Nice work.

10/13/2008 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home